Do you need to sell your car? How do you intend to sell your car confidentially, with a public sale, to a Dealer, or a TradeIn? What is the value of your car? How do maximize your earnings from the car?
General Guidelines – Decide the timing of your sale do not attempt and sell following Christmas or past a number plate modification. It is best to sell the car when it has a comparatively low mileage (below 42,000 for 3years Used Car). For older cars, it is important that the vehicle is in good condition at the time of sale, and has a clear history. You will need to present all applicable papers, so retain them in a file. Log book, MOT certificate, handbook and any receipts for repairs and spare parts.
Trading your car in – This is a fast and moderately simple way to sell your used car. It is useful to keep your car in glowing condition first wash, clean and check. Often it appears like the dealer is giving you a good price for your car, except that they may be paying for it by increasing the price of the car you are buying. Get quotations for a new car from multiple dealers, some with the tradein and some without the tradein. Compare the quotes to see what you are really being offered for your car.
Selling to a Dealer – This is a quick way to sell your car. However, the price you obtain will not be as good as advertising privately.
Selling by Auction – This is a quick way to sell your car. You must place a reserve price or otherwise your car could potentially be sold for as small $50. The auction house will get 10% of the earnings from the sale.
Selling Privately – This is the best method to get a good price for your car, however it is not hassle free. You want to choose where to sell, how much to sell the car for, and how to reach an agreement with prospective buyers.
Advertising – This can be done in the local newspapers, car magazines, national newspapers, websites and even enthusiasts clubs. Numerous websites have particular deals that may be valuable. The advert itself should be truthful and contain:
- Make and model of the car
- Age/year of car
- Any addons (alloy wheels, air conditioning)
- Number of previous owners
- Service history Length of tax/ MOT
- Photo taken in light of day with neutral surroundings Sell my car
- Area you live
Almost every car related website will charge you anywhere between $20 to $60 to place an advertisement to sell your car.
Preparing to sell –
- Clean the car inside and out this can increase the value by hundreds of dollars!
- Swab the car with good car shampoo, wash and dry with a chamois.
- Shine the car fine Tcut.
- Find an expert cleaner if you do not have the time or inclination necessary to clean the car well.
- Clean the instrument panel, windows and upholstery.
- Vacuum carpets and replace older, ragged mats.
- Do some maintenance restore bulbs, retouch scratches, restore damaged windscreen wipers.
- Top up the oil, coolant, screenwash and brake fluid. It may also be useful to change the oil if the car has not been recently serviced.
- Restore wheel trims. If the car has alloy wheels, make sure they are spotless.
- Some expert trimmings could be distorted, for example racing steering wheels, gear knobs or alloy pedal covers.
- The entire above highlight that the car has been wellcared for, which is what buyers like to see.